Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Chapter XIX: Stupid people is STUPID.

I love designing! Even since I was a kid I knew what would I become, gak bakalan jauh-jauh dari bidang seni deh pokoknya. Dari jaman SD I love to make a personalized birthday card or christmas greetings card for my friends and family.

And here I am.. a 20 years old Art Director and I achieved my Advanced Diploma when I was only 19 years old. Am I proud of myself?? HELL YES I AM, this is one thing I won't be humble about! The obstacle I have been through to get my advanced diploma is PRICELESS. I still have the desire to pursue my Bachelor Degree.. someday.. when God let me to do so. Don't get me wrong, each people must have something they proud about themselves, so do I. :)

So, basically I DISRESPECT people who thinks that it is so EASY to be a graphic designer. You just need to learn by yourself, get as many as tutorial CD's and youtube videos aaannd TADAAAAA, you're officially a graphic designer. IT IS NOT THAT EASY, BITCH.

More importantly, I can say that I HATE people who underestimate the formal education for Visual Communication; I disrespect people who underestimate the power of (proper and formal) education. And those self-taught graphic designers who want to be appreciate as much as the certified graphic designer, who thinks they are the same or even better from those who actually went to the REAL and PROPER school.. are full of SHAME. How an arrogant asshole you are if you think so. I am honestly feel disturbed by their presence, yes, the self-taught graphic designers. They basically ruined the market price of design services as they will not survive to compete with the certified graphic designer if they ask for the normal price. So the market thinks that those certified graphic designers ask for too high price.
-___- FML

asshole1

asshole2

asshole3

asshole4

asshole5

asshole5


For those who are an educated and professional businessmen and businesswomen will understand why it takes so much money to design a logo, as the value of the logo is not from the size, color, or the difficulty of the logo, but it lies on its originality and ability to represents the company's profile, vision, and mission.

I personally believe that Visual Communication major is important as much as Medical or Law major. In college we learn from the experts themselves and our artworks are judge by them, who are certified and experienced in a real professional world. From the beginning, the lecturers helped us to form a strong and excellent sense of design-style, colors, and font type choices. While a self-taught graphic designer learn from CD tutorials, youtube videos.. and their artwork judge by common people who don't have any idea what a good design is.

Certified graphic designers have more promising career. Why? Because most of the top and professionals design agencies, where ever it is, require a certified graphic designer as their employee, sometimes at least you have to be a Bachelor Degree and they won't accept an Advanced Diploma like me. In so many events, those talented-lucky self-taught graphic designer who got accepted in a company, will be sent to college by their employer to earn their formal education after they shows their skills. Why? Because a good company/employer knows and realize how important a formal education is. :)
Even tough you are an experienced self-taught graphic designer, you still need to get a formal education to be approved as a good designer.

Have you ever seen a self-taught doctors actually works at the hospitals?
Have you ever seen a self-taught lawyers represent a criminal in the courts?

Me neither. :)

A certified graphic designer bisa dikategorikan sebagai graphic designer otodidak, tapi graphic designer yang otodidak enggak akan pernah bisa di kategorikan atau disamakan dengan those certified graphic designer.

Perbedaan itu ada, kenapa harus disamakan kalo emang gak sama?? Let's respect the difference, let's respect each other. STAY HUNGER, STAY FOOLISH, just like what Steve Job says.

Hasil kerja designer otodidak belum tentu jelek, begitu juga sebaliknya. Semuanya balik lagi ke pribadi masing-masing. Yang penting adalah jangan pernah meremehkan pendidikan dan jangan cepet berpuas diri akan pencapaian yang udah ada. Di atas langit masih ada langit kawannn... :)

Regards,

D.W

2 comments: