Monday, March 12, 2012

The Other Reaction of Joseph Kony campaign. (KONY 2012)

Yes, I guess most of you people have heard about this "revolution". It all started few days ago when people in my twitter timeline started tweeting about this campaign.

If you haven't heard about Joseph Kony, watch the video about him here.
The main storyline is this awful guy named Joseph Kony in northern Uganda, he abducted children from their parents and make them his army; he forces them to kill their own parents and he forces them to do other bad things.

I understand how people have their own thoughts and ways to convey their sympathy. People have rights to have their own opinion and convey it as well.

Well, this is me, conveying my thoughts about Project Kony. I feel like the aim of this project is unclear and biased, I think that this project is promoting a war. why?

the fact of KONY 2012 project
Here's what I found from my research; only 37% of their budget (comes from the donation and the sale from their souvenirs) goes directly to central African-programs (build schools, provide food, medicine,etc), 20% goes to salary and overhead (movie production, budget for souvenirs production) and the remaining 43% goes to their awareness programs.

So if you did donate for Invisible Children or tweeting about Joseph Kony, you help them spread the awareness, you didn't help the children whom Joseph has abducted.

From the video they made I got the point where they have gathered (American and local) army to find and kill Joseph while Joseph's army are mostly children, means a lot of Joseph's army will be killed, means more children will die. Got my point? :) So I think this project clearly does not promote any kind of peace, cause they fight fire with fire.

I believe there's much better, peaceful, and useful ways to fight and prevent LRA (Joseph Kony's colony) from abducting more children, for example reinforce local safety, build proper homes, schools, hospitals or clinics, and any other public facilities.

In this is how Xia Xue, the famous Singaporean blogger has the same thoughts as mine but she conveys it in a.. different way I must say. hehehe


Xia Xue's tweet! 
I do think that we shouldn't blindly trust into things or news that we don't really know and happened in another continent. Do some research before donating your money or supporting any cause, be the smart-kind-hearted person who makes sure that the money you donate goes to the people who are really in need, not to some film-production's fund.

But hey, this is my thought and what I believe, If you disagree with it... well let's agree to disagree. LOL

Frankly speaking, there are thousand of unlucky and unfortunate children in our beloved country Indonesia. If you really are a kind-hearted people.. you know what you have to do :)

Cheers!!!

D.W

Source:

  • http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com.nyud.net/
  • http://chrisblattman.com/2009/03/04/visible-children/
  • http://www.wrongingrights.com/2009/03/worst-idea-ever.html/
  • http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/

UPDATED
found this on 9gag and it seems legit 
source: here

No comments:

Post a Comment